Agricultural research is always considered as the first step in research on medicinal plants and herbal medicines. The first steps in providing the materials for the making of medicinal herbal products are the discovery of wild medicinal plants in nature, scientific identification, cultivation, domestication and their establishment.
Other responsibilities of agricultural research departments in pharmaceutical companies are having knowledge of the planting process, harvesting, storage of different medicinal plants, and the application of agricultural operations to access the optimum conditions for the production and creation of maximum standard ingredients in medicinal plants and natural materials.
The Department of Agricultural Research in Barij Essence Pharmaceutical Company with having researchers of various fields, farms, and education greenhouses and research collection, in addition to the above-mentioned responsibilities, provides the latest scientific information and research to other departments including the department of research and development, production, and purchasing as well as other scholars and enthusiasts.
Goals and programs:
- Carrying out cultivation projects, domestication, and establishment of wild or non-native medicinal plants
- Undertaking the necessary follow-up regarding the preparation of studied plants from natural areas or centers of production and cultivation and doing a feasibility assessment of cultivation and collection
- Seek herbal ingredients, natural materials and materials used in traditional medicines
- Designing optimum agricultural plans of different medicinal herbs with prioritization of company projects that are already underway
- Participation in training of planting, harvesting, and extracting of medicinal plants in the company as well as communicating and exchanging ideas with managers and experts in farms and manufacturing subsidiaries of the company and if necessary, adjusting cooperation agreements
- Developing botanical projects of medicinal herbs
- Supervising the transfer of research findings in the field of production
- Protection, completion, and improvement of training farms (research collection) of medicinal herbs to gather pilot plants for seed propagation, to experience different methods of planting and harvesting valuable species, to increase scholarly familiarity with these plants, and to record and provide results
- Carrying out affairs related to the research greenhouse of the company and preparing it for enthusiast visitors and research projects